Tuna Salad Onigiri
Onigiri rice balls are a Japanese favourite for breakfast or lunch. This tuna onigiri recipe is a simple and easy lunch option, especially on the go!
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise to taste
- 1 can (170g) Ocean’s Flaked Light Tuna or Ocean’s Chunk Light Tuna, drained
- 2 tbsp green onions, sliced
- 1 tsp rice vinegar
- Salt to taste
- 5 ½ cups Japanese short-grain rice, slightly warm, cooked and slightly warm
- Black sesame seeds
- 3 sheets seaweed (Nori), cut in half
- Combine mayonnaise, drained tuna, green onions, and rice vinegar. Mix thoroughly and season to taste.
- Lightly moisten your hands with water to prevent the rice from sticking. Sprinkle a tiny amount of salt onto your palms and take about ½ cup of rice and gently press it into an oval. Add a tablespoon of the tuna filling and fold the rice over the filling, shaping into a rough ball. Add more rice to the outside if the filling is peeking out.
- Gently use your hands to shape into a triangle and sprinkle with black sesame seeds. Wrap in nori and place a small amount of tuna on top of the triangle. Best if enjoyed immediately.