Chunk Light Tuna
(Skipjack tuna – Latin: Katsuwonus pelamis)
Skipjack, or light tuna, has a darker, pinkish colour compared to other tuna species. The texture of the smaller chunks makes it perfect for casseroles, sandwiches and salads.
- Skipjack tuna is one of the smaller species of tuna with an average weight of 3 kg. It is distinguished by the presence of four to seven dark, longitudinal stripes on their bellies. They have silvery flanks and short fins.
- Caught via purse seine fishing in the Pacific and Indian oceans.
- Our skipjack is caught without the use of Fish Aggregating devices which significantly reduces the risk of catching other fish and sea life.
- Skipjack tuna
- Sea salt
- 14g of protein per 55g serving
- Low in fat
- Low in saturated fat
- Free of trans fat
- MSC certified sustainably caught
- Wild caught
- Dolphin friendly
- Certified B Corp
Thanks for your question! To ensure optimal freshness, all of our tuna are processed overseas near the fishing grounds. Our tuna products are canned in a cannery in Thailand. Before a cannery can be approved to pack Ocean’s products, the plant must have a comprehensive Quality Assurance program in place. This includes rigorous pest control, contamination prevention, sanitation programs, product flow programs, and product inspection programs. We send someone to these canneries to audit these programs twice a year. All of our tuna suppliers must also be accredited with the British Retail Consortium standards, which is one of the highest food processing standards in the world.
Tastes great – thanks Ocean’s!