Inside Out Rolls
Bring out your inner sushi chef!
- 1 can (170 g) Ocean’s Crabmeat, Tuna or Salmon, drained
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise
- 3 cups cooked sushi rice, prepare according to package
- 4 sheets nori (seaweed sheets)
- ½ cup sesame seeds
- wasabi (Japanese hot green horseradish)
- bamboo mat
- Mix the drained crabmeat, tuna or salmon with the mayonnaise until smooth. Separate into 4 mounds (approximately 1⁄4 cup each).
- Place one sheet of nori on the bamboo rolling mat with the shiny side facing down. Spread enough cooked sushi rice to cover the nori paper, leaving ½ inch border.
- Cover the rice with a sheet of plastic wrap, slightly larger than the nori sheet. In one quick motion, flip the whole thing over, then place it back on the mat so the plastic is on the mat and the nori is on the top.
- Spread a little wasabi along the end of the nori closest to you about 1½ inches from the edge. Lay the fish mixture on top of the wasabi, and then roll up, being careful not to roll the plastic inside. You may then use the mat to shape your roll (protected by the plastic) into a cylinder.
- Remove the plastic wrap and roll lightly in sesame seeds (black seeds are nice!) Trim the ends, cut in half and cut each half into three. Repeat with remaining 3 sheets of nori.
Tips and Tricks
Serve with Japanese soy sauce (it is milder and sweeter than Chinese soy sauce).
Fun to try with a group as a ‘DIY’ appetizer!
For an even more sustainable choice, use Ocean’s Pole & Line Flaked White Albacore Tuna.