Tuna and Mussels in a Tomato Cream Curry
This rich curry will help warm you on those cold Fall or Winter days.
- 2 cans (120g) Ocean’s No Drain Flaked Light Tuna In Water
- 2 ½ cups vegetable broth
- 4 cups water
- 1 oz ginger, in thin slivers
- 1 oz garlic, in thin slivers
- 1 small jalapeño pepper, chopped
- 1 tbsp black mustard seeds
- 1 tbsp salt
- ½ tsp turmeric
- ½ tsp paprika
- 1 ½ inch stick of cinnamon
- ½ cup whipping cream
- 30 mussels
- 2 finely chopped ripe tomatoes
- Combine the vegetable broth, water, ginger, garlic, jalapeno pepper, mustard seeds, salt, turmeric, paprika, and cinnamon in a large pot and stir well.
- Place on medium heat and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, but not to simmer. Cook curry, uncovered for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally. As it cooks, the smell of cinnamon should become stronger.
- Turn off the heat, and allow curry to cool slightly for about 10 minutes.
- Turn on the heat to medium, and add the whipping cream. Add salt to your taste.
- Remove from heat, and set aside.
- Wash mussels thoroughly and with a paring knife, scrape off any grit and grime on the shell.
- Return curry to a boil on medium heat, then reduce heat to medium-low, and add tuna, gently stir, and cook for 1 minute. Add mussels, baby carrots and tomatoes. Stir gently and cover and cook for approximately 2-3 minutes.
- Immediately remove the lid and turn off the heat. The mussels should be open.
Tips and Tricks
Fresh mussels can be substituted with 2 cans of Ocean’s Baby Clams, drained.