Modern Tuna Casserole
Getting the basics down is a breeze, so why not try a twist on a comfort food classic? This Modern Tuna Casserole recipe with Ocean’s Low Sodium Solid White Albacore Tuna is a crowd pleaser! The textures and fresh flavours in this recipe will make this your new go-to!
- 340g Mafalda pasta
- 2 cans (170g) Ocean’s Low Sodium Solid White Albacore Tuna
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 leeks, white parts only, thinly sliced and thoroughly rinsed
- 4 Club Des Millionaires Anchovy fillets
- 3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 cup olives, pitted and roughly chopped
- 4 tbsp lemon juice
- 3 tbsp flour
- 2 cups half and half cream (10%)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- ½ cup Parmesan, grated
- ½ cup Gruyere, grated
- ½ cup panko breadcrumbs
- Fresh thyme, to garnish
- Olive oil, to finish
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Cook pasta according to directions on the package minus two minutes. It should be a little undercooked as it will continue to cook in the oven. Rinse under cold water to halt the cooking.
- Melt ½ tbsp of butter in a skillet over medium heat. Add leeks and anchovy fillets and cook until translucent. Add garlic, olives and lemon juice and continue to cook for 2-5 minutes. Remove mixture from skillet.
- Melt remaining 3 ½ tbsp butter in skillet over medium heat. Slowly add in flour while whisking constantly. After 2 minutes, slowly add half and half continuing to whisk until a thick roux is formed. Add half of the parmesan and half of the gruyere slowly while continuing to whisk.
- Add the cooked pasta, tuna and sauteed vegetables to the sauce. Mix everything well and season with salt and pepper.
- Pour the pasta mixture into a casserole dish and bake for 15 minutes. Pull casserole out of the oven, top with remaining cheese and panko and drizzle with olive oil and bake for another 15 minutes.
- Garnish with thyme.