Chili Tuna Banh Mi
- 2 crusty bread rolls
- 1 ½ cups white vinegar
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 cup water
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 star anise
- 2 large carrots, cut into 2-inch matchsticks
- 1 4-inch piece of daikon, cut into 2-inch matchsticks
- 1 4-inch piece of English cucumber, cut into 2-inch matchsticks
- 1 small shallot, thinly sliced
- 3 tbsp mayo
- 1 tbsp sriracha, *optional
- 1 tbsp hoisin
- 3 cans (80g) Ocean’s Solid Light Tuna in Chili Infused Oil, drained
- 1 cup cilantro sprigs
- 2 scallions, cut in half and then cut lengthwise into long strips
- 1 jalapeno, thinly sliced, *optional
- Add the vinegar, fish sauce, water, salt, sugar and star anise to a small pot and heat over medium-high for 3 minutes or until the salt and sugar are dissolved.
- Add the carrot, daikon, cucumber and shallot to a bowl or jar and pour the vinegar mixture over the vegetables. This should be done at least 30 minutes in advance but can be done as early as 2 days in advance.
- In a small bowl, combine the mayo, sriracha and hoisin. Season with salt and pepper. Spread evenly on both inner sides of the bread.
- To each sandwich, add the tuna and top with the pickled vegetables, cilantro sprigs, scallions and jalapeno.