Cheesy Tuna Stuffed Pasta Shells
- 3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp fresh or dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp red-pepper flakes (optional)
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups whole milk
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 /2 cup bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and excess liquid squeezed out
- 1 cup of frozen green peas
- 2 cans of Ocean’s Solid White Albacore Tuna – Low Sodium, drained and flaked
- 6 ounces jumbo pasta shells (about 20), cooked according to package instructions to be al dente
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a medium pot, heat olive oil over medium heat and add onion, garlic, chili flakes and thyme and cook until onion is translucent and softened. Add flour and cook, stirring constantly, 1 minute. Gradually add milk, whisking constantly, and cook until slightly thickened and bubbling, about 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and remove from heat and set aside to allow sauce to cool slightly.
- In a small bowl combine the bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, and Italian seasoning. Transfer half the mixture to a large bowl and combine with spinach, green peas, tuna, and half of the sauce; check the seasoning and add more salt and pepper as needed. Fill each shell with the spinach mixture and place in a 9-by-13-inch baking dish. Top with remaining sauce and breadcrumb mixture. Bake until sauce is bubbling and breadcrumbs are golden, about 20-25 minutes.